Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Things We Take for Granted

Back When We Were Happy ... and Oblivious.

Now, in the wake of the Tohoku Quake, looking much older and wiser.
Were we prepared for a big earthquake? No. Did we have a plan A or B? No. Did we have any idea what it would do to reclaimed land? No. Will we get our butts in gear and be ready (or gone) before the next one? Hell yeah!

I am still very saddened about the situation here in Japan, and I can't help but cry when I watch the news and see my people telling their stories, mourning for their lost or dead loved ones, and watching their flattened houses be thrown away like a pile of sticks. I am not supposed to let my children see my cry, but I can't NOT feel emotional when I see this on the news.

I also can't help but feel frustrated at the fast-changing information regarding food, water, radiation, etc. In the background, the aftershocks force us to stay vigilant. I look around and count the few foreigners left, and I smile at them, glad that they decided to stay too.

In my next post, I plan to include some photos of our area.

1 comment:

Warren Smith said...

So what do you think about the food situation now?

I think the government lacked concern, and the farmers were trying their best to hide the mess. That is why they continued to sell their products all over Japan. Shame on them.

I am on vacation in Florida now, but will head back. Work in Tokyo.

Been in Japan going on 28 years and love the place. Too bad nails are not allowed to be left stuck up.

Samurai Shonan