Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Traveling Tuesdays: Sawara, a piece of heaven

Last week, on Thursday, we went on a field trip with the students visiting from our sister school in Texas. We took them to Narita Temple, and then to nearby Sawara. These are some of the photos I took on that day. I was trying to stay in manual mode, when possible. 

Narita Temple



Just behind the main building of the temple is this display of over 100 monk statues. Apparently, these disciples are here to remind us of our need to let go of our earthly desires.

Behind Narita Temple is a huge park, and this is the view from above.



And, from below. Yusuke thought this was a nice photo because of the clouds and how the tree branches sort of frame the photo.



The teacher who went on this trip with me, Mr. Ishii, took this photo of me. I kind of like how it turned out.



Gotta love those tree canopies.



The most striking thing about this park is the waterfall, and both of the Japanese teachers accompanying us had never known about it, so we just had to show them.


It's a little blurry, but I had never seen a live shrimp before. This one had caught a little fish and was devouring it.

Sawara


Sawara is a small village northeast of Narita, and in June, the irises are in full bloom. This botanical garden houses hundreds of species. It was gorgeous and serene at the same time.



We took a boat ride on the river. The bottom of the boat was covered in tatami, and we had to remove our shoes before getting in.





I have never seen so many lilypads in my life. No cute little cartoonish frogs though.



And, finally, my 2 best photos of the day. I worked hard to get these. Yusuke says I am getting better all the time.



No comments: